Sunday, July 12, 2015

Two days in Toledo

I've spent the past two days in Toledo. I'm in Madrid now, and I fly back home tomorrow. That said, this is not my last post!

Toledo was the capital of Spain up until 1561 and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It's one of the few places that's actually mentioned in Don Quixote, so my visit to Castilla-La Mancha would be incomplete without checking it out. There aren't many Quixote-related sites in Toledo, but it's definitely an integral part of following the route. During the 16th century Toledo was a center of trade. Today, the highlight of the city is its massive Gothic cathedral, which took 270 years to build. Quixote would've definitely passed by it and I'm happy to have had the opportunity to visit it.

Unlike many of the small towns I've visited, Toledo is easily accessible, and, as a result, is packed with tourists. This didn't really take away from the experience, however, since it was nice to see a lot of people after visiting some lonely, isolated towns.

Pictures below! I have to keep this short since I have to wake up in a few hours to fly home. Last post comes on Tuesday so be sure to check it out.

Before I post pictures of Toledo, I have to say that the Toledans knew I was coming. But seriously, who would buy this?!
Almost all streets in Toledo are this narrow 
Approaching the cathedral
And now, for a bunch of cathedral pictures: 
















A bench in Toledo depicting Quixote at the inn which is said to be in Puerto Lapice. Been there!
Toledo is on a hill. This is looking out from the city
Dumb and dumber. Clearly I'm the dumb one

No comments:

Post a Comment